Mini tartlets filled with seasoned cream cheese, fresh mozzarella, tomato and topped with basil. These Mini Caprese Tartlets are the perfect end of summer appetizer or side dish!
Photos Updated July 2016
I was looking back through my blog earlier, and I’m noticing a theme over the past few weeks. Lots of little bites – not a whole lot of hearty meals. I guess that is to blame on summer, right?? I’ve posted a few soups, and there was a salad and a quesadilla thrown in, but really, I’ve been making a whole lot of appetizers served as dinner, or we’ve been having multiple side dishes for dinner. You get the heat that zaps any motivation to be in the kitchen for very long, combined with all of the great in-season produce that makes for a perfect side dish, and you get light summer dinners. So I apologize if you’ve been wanting something more substantial – I do have a few things coming up!!
But for now, I am still making my way through piles of vegetables that are sitting on my counter. Not wanting anything to go to waste, I have been making great use of lots of tomato recipes these last few days. Seriously – I could do a whole tomato week, but I’ll spare you since I already focused on peaches and corn!!! (But you will be getting almost all tomato recipes this week!)
These Mini Caprese Tartlets are another winning recipe from Melissa D’Arabian from $10 Dinners. After not loving the first recipe that I made of hers, I’m glad I didn’t give up on her, because everything I’ve made since has been divine. And these little tartlets are no exception. I loved that the shells are made out of plain old white bread. And the flavored cream cheese was so good that I wanted to just eat it by the spoonful! This was such a great spin on a caprese sandwich – and it’s one that I would definitely do again! These Mini Caprese Tartlets would be perfect for a party, or as a side dish – or do what we did and just eat them for dinner!!
Like what you see here? Make sure you are following Taste and Tell for more recipes and ideas!
Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter | Google+ | Weekly Newsletter | Feedly | Bloglovin
- 8 slices white bread
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper
- 2 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 375Fº.
- Remove the crusts from the bread. Using a rolling pin, flatten each slice of bread. Brush both sides with olive oil and press into a muffin tin. (Tip: cut a small slit diagonally down one corner to make it easy to fit into the cup.) Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese with the garlic powder, dried basil, salt and pepper. Mix together until smooth and creamy. Drop about a teaspoon into each cup. Bake the tartlets in the preheated oven until browned, about 12-13 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place a slice of mozzarella in each cup. (I returned mine to the oven again for a minute or two to soften and melt the mozzarella slightly.) Top with a tomato.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and a small drizzle of remaining olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Chiffonade the basil for garnish. Serve warm.
SHOP THIS POST!
More Caprese Inspiration:
Don’t miss a thing! Follow me on Pinterest to see what I’m pinning!