Summer in a sandwich – this Open Face Caprese Steak Sandwich has Certified Angus Beef ® brand steak topped with tomatoes, basil and mozzarella, all on top of cheesy bread.
9 times out of 10, if I ask my husband what he wants for dinner, or what he wants me to add to the weekly menu, it will be steak. Steak and wings. I’m not even kidding. Just the other day, I asked him what he wanted for dinner the next night, and I laughed to myself for even asking. I didn’t even have to wait for the answer – I already knew.
And let’s be honest – I’m a steak girl myself, as well. You know that “last meal” question we’ve talked about before? Well, 9 times out of 10, if you were to ask me what my last meal would be, it would probably be a perfectly cooked medium-rare steak, seasoned only with salt and pepper and cooked in butter in a cast iron skillet. Yep – that’s what my dreams are made of.
So needless to say, we are a steak loving family. Which is why I couldn’t pass up a chance to work with the Certified Angus Beef® brand. Hello, deliciousness!
But in all seriousness, if you are going to have a steak, you want to make sure that it’s the best. And when you choose the Certified Angus Beef® brand, you know that the beef has met 10 standards for quality. And it’s a step above USDA Prime, Choice and Select grades. You are getting the best of the best!
As much as I love a perfectly cooked steak, I knew I wanted to turn my Certified Angus Beef® brand strip steaks into something special. Since we are in the prime season for harvesting, I thought – why not combine the best beef with the best ingredients of the summer? That, along with some inspiration from the Certified Angus Beef® brand website is all I needed to come up with this Open Face Caprese Steak Sandwich.
This open face sandwich comes together easily. Toasted bread is slathered with herb and garlic cheese, then topped with sliced Certified Angus Beef® brand skirt steak, fresh tomatoes, basil and mozzarella. Then you throw it all into the oven to melt the cheese into one irresistible sandwich.
I’m not gonna lie – these babies are a little bit hard to eat. My husband resorted to a knife and fork, the kids kind of picked them apart and ate each component separately, but I just went for it. My fingers and face were a mess when I was finished, but I ate every bite and licked my fingers clean.
This steak sandwich tastes like summer, and I love being able to take advantage of the best ingredients. This is definitely my idea of the perfect sandwich night!
Like what you see here? Make sure you are following Taste and Tell for more great recipes and ideas!!
Facebook ** Pinterest ** Twitter ** Instagram ** Google+
or you can subscribe to my newsletter or Feedly or Bloglovin
- 2 (12 oz) Certified Angus Beef ® brand Strip Steaks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper
- 1 loaf (1 lb) Ciabatta bread
- 5.2 oz garlic and herb soft cheese (such as Boursin)
- 2-3 large tomatoes, cut into thick slices
- ⅓ cup lightly packed basil, torn
- 12 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced
- Set the steaks out for 30 minutes to allow them to come to room temperature.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Melt the butter in the pan, then add the steaks. Cook until your desired doneness, turning once. Remove and let rest for about 10 minutes before thinly slicing against the grain.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350F. Cut the bread in half lengthwise. Place the two halves, cut side up, on a baking sheet. Toast in the oven until lightly toasted, 5-7 minutes. Remove from the oven and slice each half into 3 pieces, making 6 pieces.
- Spread the garlic and herb cheese on the cut sides of the bread. Layer the steak on top, followed by the tomatoes. Sprinkle with basil, then layer the cheese on top. Return the sandwiches to the oven to let the cheese melt, another 5-10 minutes. Serve warm.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Certified Angus Beef via Burst Media. The opinions and text are all mine.