Grilled cheese breakfast style! A breakfast grilled cheese sandwich recipe has scrambled eggs, bacon and cheese on toast that is cooked in a waffle maker for a fun breakfast idea.
It’s no secret that I struggle with breakfast in the morning. I love breakfast – don’t get me wrong. I just don’t love morning. I stay up too late, and I have 2 little boys who have been testing my patience in the middle of the night lately. So this mama is tired in the morning.
Tired mornings started to equal cereal for breakfast more mornings than not. But with the start of school, I made a goal to get rid of our cereal habit. I know I’m tired, but that’s no reason to start the day off on the wrong foot for the kids!
Luckily, a good breakfast is only a few minutes away. The secret? Eggs!!
So I read something that was quite disturbing to me. Did you know that a bowl of cereal can contain as much sugar as 3 chocolate chip cookies? I would never feed my kids cookies for breakfast, so why would I give them something like cereal to start their day off?
Eggs make a lot more sense. With 6 grams of protein in just one egg, and all of the amino acids needed to build and maintain muscle, eggs are a pretty obvious choice for a better-for-you breakfast.
One of my daughter’s favorite ways to eat eggs is scrambled on toast. So for back to school this year, I thought it would be fun to change it up a bit and turn it into a breakfast sandwich. But as I thought about it more, I had the idea to use a waffle maker instead of a griddle for even more breakfast fun. This sandwich would be easy to grab and go with, as well, if you are running late on the way to school one day.
This grilled cheese sandwich recipe is a much better way to start the day off before school for your kids than something sweet. It will give them the energy they need to get through the day at school and to be able to concentrated and not worry about being hungry again an hour after breakfast. And let’s be honest – this is a great breakfast for mom, too, to give her energy to chase after a 1 year old and a 3 year old. 🙂
So skip the cereal and make this Waffled Breakfast Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe – your kids will thank you!
Like what you see here? Make sure you are following Taste and Tell for more great recipes and ideas!!
Facebook ** Pinterest ** Twitter ** Instagram ** Google+
or you can subscribe to my newsletter or Feedly or Bloglovin
- 4 slices thick cut bacon
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon butter, plus more for buttering the bread
- 4 slices whole grain or whole wheat bread
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs together with the milk. Salt and pepper to taste. Melt the 1 teaspoon of butter in a skillet over medium heat and add the eggs. Scrambled to your desired doneness.
- Heat a waffle iron to high heat.
- Butter the outsides of the bread. Place one slice of bread, buttered side down, on the waffle iron. Add half of the eggs, 2 slices of bacon and a slice of cheese. Place another piece of bread on top, buttered side out. Repeat with the second sandwich. Close the waffle maker and cook until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted.
I am in a working relationship with the American Egg Board, and this post has been sponsored. I’m so glad to be able to work with companies and organizations that I truly believe in. Thank you for supporting them, too.