Strawberry Lime Shortcakes with Coconut Cream – Slices of perfect sour cream pound cake are topped with strawberries soaked in a lime syrup and a light coconut cream in this perfect summertime dessert.
Photos Updated June 2015
Spring in Utah is a funny thing. Just last weekend, we spent hours at the park in 70 degree weather. Then, on Sunday morning, we woke up to 4 inches of snow. And it snowed all day. And it’s pretty much felt like winter again since then. But, since I’ve lived in Utah for the last 13-ish years, I know to never think that the warm is here to stay until at least May!!
What do you do when you are stuck with cold weather but are craving summertime? You make food that has the flavors of summer!! The minute I saw this recipe, I knew that it would bring a little bit of sunshine into my life. And let me tell you, this will definitely take you to that place!!
Let’s start with the pound cake. Generally, I don’t have the best of luck making pound cake at home. They tend to be too dry and bland. But this pound cake was absolutely perfect!! The perfect texture, the perfect moistness, and just the right amount of sweetness. I think my husband and I could have eaten the whole loaf in one sitting!! Then you take strawberries, douse them with lime juice and sugar, and when they are nice and syrupy, you serve them over the pound cake with a killer coconut whipped cream. Top it with some toasted coconut – you just can’t go wrong with this one!
- 1½ cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup sour cream
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice (about 2-4 limes)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup toasted coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line an 8- or 9-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, or grease and flour.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat together the sugar and the butter until light and fluffy. Add the eggs in one at a time, beating between each addition. Add the vanilla and sour cream and beat until incorporated. Slowly add the flour mixture and mix just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake in the preheated oven until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 50-60 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove to let it cool completely.
- Combine the strawberries, sugar and lime juice in a medium bowl. Let them sit until the sugar has dissolved, about 15 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- While the strawberries sit, make the coconut cream: Place the cream in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until it starts to thicken, about 1 minutes. Gradually add the sugar while beating on low. Beat in both extracts, then continue to beat until soft peaks form.
- To serve, top a slice or two of the pound cake with some of the marinated berries (making sure to add some of the lime syrup!) Top with coconut cream, and then sprinkle with toasted coconut.
Follow me on Pinterest!