Jalapeno halves are filled with a sausage and cheese mixture for a cheesy and spicy appetizer bite.
This post has been created in partnership with Jones Dairy Farm.
If you know me, or if you have been reading here for awhile, you know that I’m not a huge sports person. I’m not against them, and I don’t hate watching them. I think I’m just missing that competitive bone in my body. I always feel sorry for the loser. So yeah, I have a hard time really getting into the competitive aspect of it all, which is a big part of tournaments like this.
So it’s only natural that I start thinking about the best kinds of foods and appetizers for when others are watching the game, right? That’s the part I can always get into. And when I think of sports, and people sitting around cheering on their favorite team, I think of easy, hand-held food. Something that’s not fussy, but is crowd pleasing.
When I first started thinking about it, jalapeno poppers came to mind. I love them. Can’t get enough. Baked or fried – it doesn’t matter. I also knew that I needed to change things up a bit.
The first thing that popped into my mind were my favorite stuffed mushrooms. (Another favorite appetizer!!) And then it hit me – what if I combined the two? What if I filled the jalapenos with the sausage and cream cheese mixture instead of mushrooms?
And luckily, it was a smashing success. Even my husband – who is a self-proclaimed jalapeno hater – ate his fair share of these. They are spicy and full of flavor, and the perfect appetizer for basketball watching, in my opinion. Or for any occasion you need an appetizer. Or serve them up for Friday night dinner – I know I’d be happy with them!!
I used my very favorite sausage in these – the bulk sausage from Jones Dairy Farm. (Wanna know why I love Jones Dairy Farm? I talk all about it here!) The sausage combined with the creamy cheese – oh, goodness. You can’t go wrong!!
If you are a jalapeno popper lover, this is a must try!
Like what you see here? Make sure you are following Taste and Tell for more great recipes and ideas!!
Facebook ** Pinterest ** Twitter ** Instagram ** Google+
or you can subscribe to my newsletter or Feedly or Bloglovin
- 1 tube (12 oz) Jones Dairy Farm sausage
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- ¼ teaspoon ground sage
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 lb jalapeños, halved and seeded
- Place the sausage in a a medium skillet and cook until browned, breaking up as you cook it. Drain, if necessary.
- Place the cream cheese and parmesan in a medium bowl. Pour the sausage over the cheeses and mix to combine. Stir in the sage, red pepper and the parsley.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Fill each jalapeño half with some of the sausage mixture. Place on a baking dish. Bake until lightly browned, about 20-25 minutes.
More Spicy Apps
**Thank you to Jones Dairy Farm for sponsoring this post. Because of sponsors like Jones Dairy Farm, I am able to bring you all of the recipes I feature here.**