These mini cookies filled with pistachios are perfect for a holiday cookie platter!
I think that this cookie and I were meant to be…
We are a one car family right now. It’s fine most days, but it does require some planning. I have had to be really good at menu planning, and I have to make sure that I get everything that I need at the grocery store on my weekly trip. If I forget something, then I either have to make a late night trip to the store, or have my husband stop on his way home.
In theory, sending your husband to the grocery store sounds like a good idea. But if your husband is like mine, you tell him that you need 3/4 cup of pistachios from the bulk section, and he’ll come home with about 4 cups of them. Hello, pistachios!!
I actually had a different recipe planned for this week. But after trying them, they were an epic fail. Luckily, I had received an email the week before with this recipe, and luckily, my husband had purchased enough pistachios to last me well into 2013.
These cookies are so fun, and they are mighty tasty, as well. This recipe makes a ton of cookies, but they are small, so they will go a lot faster than you think they will. These would be a great last minute addition to your Christmas cookie plate!Print
These mini cookies are festive and perfect for the holiday season.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pistachios
- 10 drops green food coloring
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of a mixer until light and fluffy. Add in the egg and extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide the dough in half. Add the melted chocolate to one half. Add the pistachios and food coloring to the other half. Divide each dough into 4 portions.
- Roll out one portion of the chocolate dough into an 8×4-inch rectangle. Roll one portion of the green dough into an 8-inch log. Place the green dough along the edge of the chocolate dough. Roll the dough around filling and pinch the edges to seal. Wrap in plastic wrap. Repeat with the remaining 3 portions. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.
- Heat oven to 350. Lightly grease a baking sheet. Unwrap the dough and cut into 1/4-inch slices. Place 2 inches apart on the baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until set. Cool on wire racks.
- from Taste of Home