I’m full of all kinds of contradictions right now. Yesterday, I was talking about how I’d just bunker in for the rest of the winter and make it through by enjoying things like chili. And today, I’m trying to escape the chill of winter by transporting myself to the tropics – through food!
I’e never been to Hawaii before – it’s on my bucket list – but sitting down for lunch one day, taking a bite of this salad, I could automatically imagine myself somewhere tropical and warm. I may have only had a few minutes to myself to savor each bite, but that 10 minute tropical escape was enough to regenerate me for the rest of the day!
When the folks at Yoplait asked me to create a lactose free recipe using their new lactose free yogurt line, I thought – sure! This will be fun and easy! But little did I know how hard it is actually to eat lactose free. So any of you that have had to cut lactose from your diet, I applaud you. I think I’d have a really hard time with it! I found myself researching every ingredient, only to find out that I let some butter slip into one recipe (coming next week – minus the butter), and even some ingredients – like the Piña Colada mix in this dressing – have some brands that are lactose free, while others have lactose in them. So if you are following a lactose free diet, make sure that the mix that you buy is actually lactose free!
And the yogurt? It doesn’t really matter if you are lactose free or not – I didn’t even notice a difference in flavor between the lactose free version and the regular version. De-lish. I was glad that I picked up a few extra containers, because I loved it. Just one way that life can be a little easier (and more delicious!) if you eat lactose free!
Looking for more free recipes?
Get transported to paradise with the tastes of piña colada in this Piña Colada Salad!
For the dressing:
- 1 6-ounce container Yoplait® Lactose Free Vanilla Yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lactose free piña colada mix
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
For the salad:
- 8 cups mixed greens
- 1/3 cup sweetened coconut, toasted
- 4 tablespoons chopped macadamia nuts
- 1 cup chunk pineapple
- 1 pound cooked, cubed chicken
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, piña colada mix and cider vinegar. Whisk well and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Divide the mixed greens between 4 serving bowls. Top with the coconut, macadamia nuts, pineapple and chicken, dividing evenly between the 4 bowls. Serve with the piña colada dressing.
**This post was sponsored by Yoplait, but all opinions are my own.**