Need something sweet to curb that chocolate craving? This Chocolate Mint Ice Cream is a perfect substitution when you need sweet but not the calories. Made with frozen bananas, it’s a treat you can feel good about eating!
I know it’s been a little bit quiet around here over the past week. I started having computer issues last week, and you never really realize just how much your life is centered around your computer until you don’t have one. 🙂
I ended up spending almost 3 days without being able to use my computer, and have been using it with a temporary fix over the weekend. I get to take it back in for another 3 days this week, so I have been working furiously to get a few things done before I go computer-less again.
It’s one of those things that you love and hate at the same time. It has actually been a little bit nice to have a forced break. But I really do love my work, and it makes me nervous to stay away for too long. Especially when it’s not planned. 😉
So today, to ease the stress, I bring you ice cream. But an ice cream that you can feel good about. I actually don’t watch very much daytime tv at all anymore, but I happen to have the Food Network on a bit back while I was getting ready for the day. I saw this Chocolate Mint Ice Cream recipe, and I knew it would be a great summer treat. Sometimes, I just need a little sweet treat to end off the day, but I can’t eat ice cream every day, as much as I’d like to. This is a great substitution. It’s nothing new – “ice cream” made with bananas, but it’s so good that I just had to share.
This is definitely an ice cream for dark chocolate lovers. It’s not super sweet (which I really liked). The only sweetness you get is from your bananas. The banana flavor does come through some, but I still think the chocolate and mint are the main flavors. If you want less of the banana flavor, you can use bananas that aren’t as ripe, but then you will probably want to add in a sweetener as well. Maple syrup or honey are good choices, but agave doesn’t have a distinctive flavor so it’s a great way to add sweetness without sugar.
I’ve tried several of those “lighter” ice creams you can get at the store, and honestly, the majority of them aren’t worth buying imo. But this? I could eat a scoop of this every day and I’d be a happy girl!
See how easy it is to make below!
- 4 ripe bananas
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- few drops pure mint extract
- ⅓ cup mini chocolate chips
- Peel the bananas and cut into rounds. Place the bananas on a parchment paper covered baking sheet. Place in the freezer until frozen completely, at least 3 hours.
- Combine the cocoa powder, coconut milk and vanilla extract in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Place the frozen banana slices in a food processor or high powered blender. Pulse to blend slightly. Add the cocoa mixture. Continue to blend, scraping down the sides as needed, until the mixture is smooth and combined. Add a few drops of mint extract and pulse to incorporate. Taste, and add more mint extract as desired. Scrape the mixture into a bowl, then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Ice cream can be eaten immediately for more of a soft serve consistency, or can be frozen completely. If freezing completely, remove from the freezer 5 minutes before serving.
Slightly adapted from Food Network
SHOP THIS POST!
Don’t miss a thing! Follow me on Pinterest to see what I’m pinning!