A recipe for Roasted Lemon Almond Cornish Hens – Cornish hens are cooked in the slow cooker with lemon, thyme, and almonds for a tender, fall off the bone slow cooker meal.
I don’t participate in blogging events very much. It’s not because I don’t want to, because I would love to participate in every single one of them – but I swear time passes me by too quickly, and even though I have every intention to participate, it just doesn’t always happen.
But then I saw that Lis was hosting this round of Weekend Cookbook Challenge and the theme is pressure cookers, dutch ovens and crock pots. Well, we all know how I love my crock pot, so I knew that I would be wanting to participate in this even this month. It seemed as though time had gotten the best of me again as I realized that the deadline is tomorrow, and I still hadn’t made anything. But lucky me – as I was going through some photos on my computer last night, I found this recipe for Roasted Lemon Almond Cornish Hens that I made in the crock pot way back in December. It looks like I am getting to participate after all!!
This recipe came to me at the perfect time. I was at the grocery store one day just before Christmas, and I saw some Cornish hens on sale. I had never made a Cornish hen, and I don’t think I had actually ever eaten one either. I did what I hardly ever do – I bought 2 of them, even though I didn’t have a recipe in mind. (I am a total planner – I work out my grocery list based on what is on the menu, and I rarely just pick up something because I want to try it out without a plan in mind!)
So on Christmas morning, we are opening presents, and I get my new, beautiful, bigger-than-my-old-one crock pot. I pull it out of the box, and find the instruction booklet, that also has some recipes to use in your crock pot. Lo and behold – there is a recipe for Cornish hens!! And I had everything on hand that I needed to make the recipe!!
I made these the day after Christmas, and since I was home all day, I was able to baste the hens with the juices throughout the day. By the time we were ready to eat, these hens were falling apart they were so tender. I actually had to piece this one together to even take a picture, because they fell right apart when I took them out of the crock pot!! It was such a delicious meal, and easy to boot. If you are looking for a good crock pot recipe, this definitely fits the bill!
Looking for more free recipes?
Subscribe to my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more family-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Slow Cooker Roasted Lemon Almond Cornish Hens
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 9 hours
- Total Time: 9 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 2-4 servings 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Slow Cooker
Cornish hens are cooked in the slow cooker with lemon, thyme, and almonds for a tender, fall off the bone slow cooker meal.
- 3 lemons
- 2 Cornish hens, thawed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 cloves garlic, minces and divided
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh thyme, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 cup slivered or sliced almonds, toasted and divided
- Slice one lemon; place 2 to 3 slices in the cavity of each hen. Place one teaspoon minced thyme and 1 clove of mince garlic in each cavity. Place hens in slow cooker.
- Juice 1 lemon; mix lemon juice, butter, remaining garlic and thyme, salt and pepper and drizzle over hens. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup almonds.
- Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours (4 to 6 on high). If desired, baste hens with juices throughout the time.
- Arrange cooked hens on a serving platter. Serve with remaining lemon slices and garnish with remaining almonds.
source: Rival Cooking
Leave a Comment...