Pot roasts will forever remind me of Sunday dinner. Growing up, the drill was always the same. We would get home from church and have soup and sandwiches for lunch. Then my parents would take naps, (and as we got older, all of us kids learned the joys of a Sunday nap as well!), and then my mom would get up and make Sunday dinner. It was usually something that she put on before church that morning, so only the final touches had to be made before dinnertime. (Looking back now, I think she planned it like this just so that she could have that Sunday afternoon nap!) At least once a month, roast was what was on the menu for that Sunday dinner.
Today, I still enjoy a good pot roast for dinner – and not just on Sunday! Today’s slow cooker recipe – using Progresso’s new Fire Roasted Tomato Recipe Starter – is an easy and amazingly comforting dinner idea. And I even have step by step photos for you today – to show you just how easy it is!!
You’ll start off with a pot roast, potatoes, onion, carrots, mushrooms and Progresso’s Fire Roasted Tomato Recipe Starter.
This is one of my favorite slow cooker tricks. To brown the meat before cooking it in the slow cooker. This helps with the texture so much – so this is a step that I wouldn’t skip! Just heat up some oil in a skillet, then add the meat and brown on all sides. It only takes minutes, but makes a huge difference in the final results.
Cut up your carrots, potatoes and mushrooms.
And then throw them all in the slow cooker. Add the recipe starter, then cook away!! See – how easy was that??
Pot roast doesn’t have to be just for Sunday dinner anymore!! This is easy enough for any day of the week!Print
An easy, slow cooked pot roast with vegetables.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (2-lb) pot roast
- Salt and pepper
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 8 oz carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 12 oz potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 onion, cut into half rings
- 1 can (18 oz) Progresso Fire Roasted Tomato Recipe Starter
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Heat a large sauté pan over high heat. Add the oil.
- Generously salt and pepper all sides of the roast. Add the roast to the hot pan and brown all sides of the roast. Transfer to a 6 to 7 quart slow cooker.
- Place the mushrooms, carrots, potatoes and onions around the roast. Pour the Fire Roasted Tomato Progresso Recipe Starter over the top of the roast and vegetables.
- Cook on low until the roast is cooked through and shreds easily, 6-8 hours. Serve with the vegetables and spoon the sauce over the top. Sprinkle with fresh parsley.
**This is a sponsored post, but all opinions are my own.**