Keep your summer dessert fresh and easy with these Grilled Donut and Fruit Kabobs with Mascarpone Cream. Donut holes, pineapple chunks and mandarin oranges are grilled and served with a luscious cream.
I am in full summertime mode.
This summer has been a little bit different than summers in the past, but I feel like we are finally hitting our summertime groove. Sleeping in a little bit, (even though that still means the kids are begging me to get out of bed at 7am), spending time running through sprinklers in the back yard, (we’ve already gone through 2 bottles of sunscreen this year – that never happens!), and staying up way too late playing games or watching movies.
And let’s not forget the grilling!
Admittedly, I love to grill all year long, but there is something about grilling in the summer that is magical. And addicting. I think I’ve grilled more this summer than ever before, and we are only at the end of July!
But while I normally stick to grilling dinner, this time, I decided take dessert to the grill.
Armed with a can of Dole pineapple chunks and Dole mandarin oranges, I set out to make something that would be delicious, but easy, and maybe just a little bit different.
My family has been making dessert kabobs with donut holes for years and years, so that is what brought on the inspiration for these fruit kabobs. This isn’t my first time grilling donuts, and it definitely won’t be the last. I love how they get a little bit crispy and soft and warm. You do need to be careful, as the sugar on the donuts will melt as it gets hot. Just keep an eye on them, and make sure you don’t take them too far.
Then add the fruit to those kabobs – which I think looks like a little bit of sunshine – and you have a great summertime dessert. The canned fruit from Dole is perfect, because you know it is going to be perfectly sweet. And you can’t beat how convenient it is! I always have my pantry stocked with both the pineapple and mandarin oranges.
But I didn’t stop there. I knew I needed another element, and a sweetened mascarpone cream was the answer. I could really just eat this stuff with a spoon, but dip your warm pineapple chunks, mandarin oranges, and donut holes in it, and you’ll be in dessert heaven.
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 (8 oz) container mascarpone cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can (20 oz) Dole Pineapple Chunks
- 1 can (15 oz) Dole Mandarin Oranges
- 20-30 glazed donut holes
- Make the mascarpone cream: in a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whip the mascarpone cream, powdered sugar and vanilla together until combined. Stir ¼ of the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture. Gently fold the remaining cream into the mixture. Refrigerate until needed.
- Drain the pineapple chunks and mandarin oranges. Thread the pineapples, oranges and donuts onto skewers, alternating as desired.
- Heat a grill or a grill pan over medium heat. Grill the kabobs until toasted and warmed through, 3-5 minutes per side. (Be careful, as the sugar on the donuts will melt and become very hot, depending on how much glaze is on the donuts.)
- Serve the kabobs warm with the mascarpone cream for dipping.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow me on Pinterest to see what I’m pinning!
I am in a working relationship with Dole, and this post has been sponsored. I’m so glad to be able to work with companies and organizations that I truly believe in. Thank you for supporting them, too.