Sweet bread rolls filled with cherries, chocolate and plenty of cinnamon sugar and topped with a crunchy streusel. You can’t go wrong with these Chocolate Cherry Streusel Rolls for a Memorial Day party treat or just because!
So, Memorial Day is right around the corner. I know it’s not one of the “bigger” holidays, but I always look forward to it. Along with Memorial Day, the 4th of July is one of my very favorite holidays – there is something about the patriotic holidays that really gets to me. The songs, the flags… I don’t personally know anyone who died while serving, but I still have so much respect for them. And for all of those who have served our country in any way.
Another reason I love Memorial Day is that I use it as our “official” start to summer. The kids get out of school for the summer right before the holiday, and it’s the weekend that we use to celebrate and let go of the schedules and the homework. And of course, it’s a great time to celebrate with food!!
We love to break out the grill for dinner, but this year, I’m starting the day off with these Chocolate Cherry Streusel Rolls. Because every holiday deserves to start with a special breakfast.
There is a great recipe for Blueberry Streusel Cinnamon Rolls on the Fleishmann’s® Yeast website – breadworld.com – but since I seem to always have dried cherries on hand, I decided to swap those in for the blueberries. And what goes better with cherries than chocolate? It’s a combo that I love. But the real star here is the streusel topping. Oh, the streusel topping. It’s no secret that I’m a streusel fan, but when you it on top of these delicious rolls, you have a winning combination.
These Chocolate Cherry Streusel Rolls are actually quite easy to make, as well. You start with Fleishmann’s® Yeast, so you know you are a starting with quality. Once you make these rolls, you’ll see just how easy they are. And the great thing about them is that you can make them ahead of time and let them rise in the refrigerator overnight. That makes them perfect for a holiday breakfast!!
And since it’s a holiday, bake up an extra batch and share them with a neighbor or a Veteran to say thank you. They are a great way to bake a little extra to share with those around you!
What is on your Memorial Day menu?
Chocolate Cherry Streusel Rolls
Sweet bread rolls are filled with cherries, chocolate and plenty of cinnamon sugar and then are topped with a crunchy streusel. You can’t go wrong with these Chocolate Cherry Streusel Rolls!
- Prep Time: 2 hours 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 2 hours 30 mins
- Yield: 12 rolls
- 3 tablespoons warm water (100º to 110ºF)
- 1 envelope Fleischmann’s® Active Dry Yeast
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Spice Islands® Ground Saigon Cinnamon
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Combine the water and the yeast in a small bowl; set aside and let it rest for 5 minutes. Heat the milk and the butter until warm. (Butter does not need to completely melt.)
- Combine the warm milk mixture, sugar and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add in the egg, yeast mixture and 1 cup of the flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Gradually add more flour until you have a soft dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until it is smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place the dough in a greased bowl, turning once, then cover and let it rise in a warm, draft-free area until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down and let it rest for 10 minutes. Roll the dough into a 12×15-inch rectangle. Spread the butter on top of the dough. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, cherries and chocolate chips. Sprinkle the filling evenly over the dough. Roll up jellyroll style. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Cut the dough into 12 equal pieces and place them in the muffin tin.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, sugar and butter. Use 2 forks or a pastry cutter to cut the butter in, forming coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the streusel mixture over the rolls. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 350ºF. Bake the rolls for 20 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Let them cool for 2 minutes before removing from the pan to a cooling rack to cool completely.
adapted from breadworld.com
Don’t miss a thing! Follow me on Pinterest to see what I’m pinning!
I am a Bake a Little Extra Blog Ambassador and this Chocolate Cherry Streusel Rolls post is sponsored by Fleishmann’s® Yeast. I’m so glad to be able to work with companies and organizations that I truly believe in. Thank you for supporting them, too.