A different take on the quesadilla! Tortillas are filled with chicken, then topped with cheese, green onions and olives.
You want to know what’s funny? The thought that Cinco de Mayo was around the corner didn’t even occur to me until last week sometime. I already had the week’s posts planned out. And then I realized that Cinco de Mayo was close. I couldn’t let it pass without declaring my love of Mexican food, so I still managed to bring you a few recipe ideas. And even though I’m sure you have your menu planned for today, Mexican food is good any day of the week, so I’m always up for sharing more Mexican recipes!
This recipe is a super easy one that would make a perfect dinner or lunch. I was intrigued by it because it is a little bit different than your typical quesadilla. It’s still stuffed – the chicken is on the inside, but the tortillas are topped with the cheese instead of the cheese being in the middle. It was kind of like a mix of a quesadilla and a pizza. And it was a great way to use up some leftover chicken.
- 1 cup shredded, cooked chicken
- ¼ cup salsa verde
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 (8-inch) spinach or whole wheat tortillas
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 green onion, sliced
- small handful of Spanish green onions with pimentos, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Pre-heat the broiler.
- In a bowl, combine the chicken and salsa. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Add one tortilla and cook until crisp, then turn over and cook the second side. Remove, add another teaspoon of oil, and add the second tortilla. Repeat, crisping both sides. Repeat with the remaining 2 tortillas.
- Top 2 of the tortillas with the chicken mixture. Top with the remaining 2 tortillas. Add the cheese on top, followed by the green onion and olives. Place under the broiler until the cheese has melted. Remove from oven and top with cilantro and cut into wedges.
- slightly adapted from Rachaelray.com
Here are some more delicious quesadilla recipes:
Greek Quesadillas from A Couple Cooks
Slow Cooker Duck Confit Quesadillas from Everyday Southwest
Breakfast Quesadillas from Good Life Eats
Chorizo and Shrimp Quesadillas from Taste and Tell
Grilled Quesadillas from Tracey’s Culinary Adventures