Cake Mix Cookies 12 Ways – So many varieties, you’ll want to try them all! 4 ingredients, 20 minutes, and you can have soft, delicious cookies. Video Included.
I do love to cook from scratch, but sometimes you need a little help from the store to make something super easy! A cake mix is a great way to do that. So grab that cake mix and try these Cake Mix Cookies, then try my Funfetti Pancakes, Dump Cake Recipe, or Coconut and Pistachio Pudding Cake!
The Easiest Cookie Recipe
These Cake Mix Cookies have become one of those go-to recipes for years now for when I want/need cookies, but am feeling a bit lazy. Seriously – only 4 ingredients and 20 minutes, and you have your cookies. And let’s not lie – sometimes you just need a pink strawberry cookie.
I love these cookies because not only are they super easy and super fast, but when it comes to flavor combinations, the sky is the limit! You can use any flavor of cake mix that you want, then choose your add-in. Chocolate chips, candy pieces, nuts, coconut, toffee… go crazy!! After the recipe card below, I have included 12 different flavors you can turn these cookies into. This is really just a jumping off point, though – there are so many great combinations you could make!
What You’ll Need
This is the easiest cookie recipe ever – technically all you need are 3 ingredients, but I like to throw the 4th one in to add some variety.
Cake Mix – I have found that brand doesn’t matter here. You just need the dry cake mix – not the ingredients it calls for on the back.
Vegetable Oil – I like using vegetable oil for the softest cookies.
Eggs – You’ll need 2 eggs. I haven’t tried any substitutions, but others have used Greek yogurt or applesauce in place of the eggs.
Mix-Ins – This is where you can have fun! Use chocolate chips or sprinkles or nuts or candy pieces. It’s really fun to play around with different kinds of mix-ins to see what kind of flavor combinations you can come up with!
Tips and Tricks
- Different flavors of cake mixes act differently. The strawberry cake mix always makes thicker cookies for me, while yellow cake mixes will spread out more. I tried refrigerating dough to see if that would help with the cookies that spread more, but it didn’t make a huge difference. The mix in that you choose could make a difference, as well.
- I know that different brands of cake mixes are different sizes. I tried these with different sizes – from 15.25 oz to 18.25 oz and found that you don’t need to alter any ingredients for different brands of cake mixes.
- I always use vegetable oil, but I know others have had success using melted butter instead.
- These cookies stay soft for several days. Store in an airtight container.
- No mixer is needed! I used a hand mixer in the video, but you can easily make these with just a spoon or a spatula.
Check Out These Other Cake Mix Cookies
Looking for more free recipes?
Cake Mix Cookies 12 Ways – So many varieties, you’ll want to try them all! 4 ingredients, 20 minutes, and you can have soft, delicious cookies.
- 1 cake mix* (dry ingredients only)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup mix ins (such as chocolate chips, coconut, nuts, etc.)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with a silpat liner or parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix together the cake mix, vegetable oil and eggs until combined. Stir in the mix ins.
- Scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet, at least 2 inches apart. Bake just until the cookies are set in the middle, 10-12 minutes.
- Cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet then transfer to a cooling rack or a sheet of waxed paper.
*I have used different cake mix sizes from 15.25 oz to 18.25 oz and they all seem to work just fine. You won’t need to adapt the other ingredients.
Mix ins can be whatever you want to mix into the cookies – coconut, chocolate chips, chopped candy bars, etc. The possibilities are endless!
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should be used as a general guide. Nutrition information is for cookies prepared with strawberry cake mix and coconut as the mix in.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 183
- Sugar: 13 g
- Sodium: 244 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 23 g
Keywords: Cake mix cookies, cake cookies, cake batter cookies, cake mix cookie recipe, how to make cookies from cake mix
12 Different Ways to Make Cake Mix Cookies
Here are some of my favorite flavor combinations!
Strawberry Cake Mix with Shredded Coconut
Butter Pecan Cake Mix with Butterscotch Chips
Chocolate Cake Mix with Andes Mints
Chocolate Cake Mix with Pecans and Coconut
Chocolate Cake Mix with Chopped Peanut Butter Cups
Lemon Cake Mix with White Chocolate Chips
Yellow Cake Mix with Toffee Chips
White Cake Mix with Mini M&Ms
Cherry Chip Cake Mix with Mini Chocolate Chips
Carrot Cake Mix with Coconut
Spice Cake Mix with Pecans
Red Velvet Cake Mix with White Chocolate Chips