A fresh salad filled with beans, corn, tomatoes and bell pepper that gets better the longer it sits.
Recipe and Photo Updated May 2014
I have been seriously struggling with motivation in the kitchen lately. Honestly, there hasn’t been a whole lot of cooking going on at my house, but things are looking better now. I actually have been cooking again – dinner for the last 3 nights in a row! – and I have a whole week’s menu planned for next week. There should be some yummy recipes coming your way!!
Every third Sunday, my family gets together for dinner. We rotate who hosts, and they plan the meal, asking each person to bring a different dish. This month, it was my favorite dinner of the year – our garden dinner. We had chile rellenos, squash, cucumber toasties, corn on the cob…this is the meal that reminds me of childhood. We had a huge garden, and I always hated having to go out and weed. But then when we would have a garden dinner, it made it all worth it. It’s still my favorite meal!
I was feeling unmotivated – surprise, surprise – so I volunteered to bring some sort of a salad. I still even had a hard time coming up with a recipe to bring. I ended up settling on this salad, which I really liked by the way – not even thinking that it is a lot like a salsa that my family loves. So when I got to my sister’s house, everyone was wondering where the tortilla chips were! I had to tell them that it was meant to be eaten as a salad, but in all honesty, I went home and ate the remainder with tortilla chips at home!
Like what you see here? Make sure you are following Taste and Tell for more great recipes and ideas!!
Facebook ** Pinterest ** Twitter ** Instagram ** Google+
or you can subscribe to my newsletter or Feedly or Bloglovin
- 1 (14-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup fresh corn, cut from the cob
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1 fresh jalepeno pepper, ribs and seeds removed, minced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 pinch sea salt
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon fresh-ground pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- Place the beans, tomato, bell pepper, corn, onion, and jalepeno in a large salad bowl.
- Mash the garlic and salt together to form a paste. Whisk together the mashed garlic, lime juice, mustard and pepper in a small bowl. Add the oil in a slow, steady stream while whisking. Continue whisking until smooth. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss to coat. Chill overnight.