It is true – I have a little thing for sweet and sour. We rarely get Chinese take out. (I think that it’s mostly because I don’t even know where to get good take out around here…) But whenever we do, I’m always drawn to the sweet and sour. Whether that be sweet and sour chicken, sweet and sour pork, or even the sweet and sour sauce to dip your eggroll in – it’s what I always want. Which, I guess, is one reason I have not one, but at least 3 different versions of sweet and sour chicken here on Taste and Tell (make that 4 now!), plus meatballs, pork, and who knows what else. I think that alone should convince you of my love!
This version is a little different than the others. First of all, it’s extremely simple. Just stir together the sauce, pour it over the chicken, and bake. And by using Reynolds Oven Bags, the chicken stays extremely tender and juicy. There is no frying involved. As much as I love for the chicken to be fried, this version is a little healthier because it bakes instead. I don’t know if I’d quite call it healthy – it does have a whole cup of brown sugar, but it is a little healthier when you take out the deep frying element!!
This version is also pretty mild – aka child and husband friendly for my family. Which is great, because none of them want anything with any sort of spiciness to it. I jazzed mine up with a squirt of sriracha, but it would also be great with some red pepper flakes added into the sauce. It’s quite easy to change up according to your likes – or what your family likes. But if you are looking for a child friendly sweet and sour chicken – this is your recipe!
What is your favorite Chinese take out?
A simple, oven baked sweet and sour chicken recipe. To spice it up, add in some red pepper flakes, or serve with sriracha.
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons water
- salt and pepper
- rice, for serving
- sliced green onions, for garnish
- Heat oven to 350F.
- Sprinkle the one tablespoon of flour in a large Reynolds Oven Bag.Shake the flour in the bag to distribute. Place the bag in a 9×13 pan. Add the chicken to the bag.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, vinegar, ketchup, and soy sauce. In another small bowl, mix together the cornstarch and the water. Add the cornstarch mixture to the brown sugar mixture, season with salt and pepper, then pour over the chicken in the bag.
- Close the bag with the tie, then turn the oven bag to coat the chicken with the sauce. Place back in the pan and cut six 1/2-inch slits in the top of the bag to allow the steam to escape.
- Place the pan in the oven, allowing room for the bag to expand without touching the heating elements.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Serve over rice, garnished with green onions.
More versions of sweet and sour:
**This post has been sponsored by Reynolds. All opinions are my own, as always!!**