Need a quick hit for dinner tonight? These Chicken Sloppy Joes can be done in 15 minutes flat! Keep cooked, shredded chicken on hand for this easy dinner idea, or use a rotisserie chicken.
I am very lucky to have some great family, friends and neighbors. After I had Easton, we had several meals brought by, which was great, since I was taking it easy and not in the kitchen. Well, as a result of a couple of these meals, I ended up with the majority of 2 rotisserie chickens on my hands. As much as I love rotisserie chicken, you can only eat so much of it by itself. But the thing that I love about it is that it’s easy to turn into a different meal!!
This recipe didn’t actually call for rotisserie chicken, and I had actually planned on making the recipe as written, but at the last minute, as I looked into the refrigerator and saw the big bag of shredded chicken, I knew this recipe would be a great way to use some of it up. What I ended up with was a dinner that took me all of 10 minutes to throw together! It doesn’t get any easier and faster than that! But even if you don’t have rotisserie chicken, this meal can be made in 15 minutes – perfect for any weeknight.
This version of a sloppy joe does have a pretty strong tomato flavor, but you can always add more of the other ingredients if the flavor is too strong. I used some rolls that I had on hand, making my joes into slider joes. Served with a simple side of steamed broccoli, this was the perfect, easy, weeknight meal!
- 1 (15-oz) can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- a dash of red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 3 cups shredded, cooked chicken
- 4-6 hamburger buns
- In a large saucepan, combine the tomato sauce, brown sugar, mustard, vinegar, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine and place over medium heat until it starts to bubble. Add in the chicken and cook until heated through.
- Serve the chicken on the hamburger buns.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow me on Pinterest to see what I’m pinning!