A great way to clear out the vegetable bin in your refrigerator, this Crostata with Oven Roasted Vegetables is a filling vegetarian recipe that is packed with flavor.
My problem, though? Everything that is left over.
I’m not talking about actual leftovers from a meal (although that’s a whole different beast), but I’m talking about the half of a box of pasta or the rest of the head of cauliflower. This has been a problem of mine for years now. In fact, awhile back, I even made a week long no-waste menu plan, where everything that you bought for the week got used in that week’s meals.
Needless to say, I hate wasting ingredients. And lately, it seems as though the biggest culprit at our house is the vegetable drawer. Maybe it’s because those vegetables are out of sight, out of mind, way down there in the bottom drawer of the refrigerator. And maybe it’s a sign that we need to eat more vegetables. But regardless, I need more recipes in my repertoire that are a useful way to use up all of those veggies.
This Crostata with Oven Roasted Vegetables is the answer! Because first of all, roasted vegetables. You really can’t go wrong with oven roasted vegetables. Second – pie crust. My inner pie lover is going crazy over that one. And blue cheese?? Yes, yes and yes!!
I was actually prepared to be underwhelmed by this recipe, but it was an instant hit. I pretty much emptied out my vegetable drawer and used some red potatoes, carrots, cauliflower and a red bell pepper. But you could pretty much use anything. And I had some smoked blue cheese that I used. Let’s just say I want to bathe in that stuff. If you can find a smoked blue cheese, I’d definitely recommend trying it, but a regular blue cheese would work well as well.
So next time that vegetable drawer starts to get a little full, roast them up in this Crostata with Oven Roasted Vegetables. You won’t be sorry!
Like what you see here? Make sure you are following Taste and Tell for more great recipes and ideas!!
Facebook ** Pinterest ** Twitter ** Instagram ** Google+
or you can subscribe to my newsletter or Feedly or Bloglovin
Looking for more free recipes?
A great way to clear out the vegetable bin in your refrigerator, this Crostada with Oven Roasted Vegetables is a filling vegetarian recipe that is packed with flavor.
- 5 cups vegetables (make sure they are all cut into similar sizes)*
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 pie crust
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF. Toss the vegetables in a large bowl with the garlic, oil, salt and pepper. Arrange the vegetables in a single layer on a large baking sheet and roast, uncovered, for 20 minutes, or until tender and lightly browned. Cool for about 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 425ºF.
- Combine the egg, cream and thyme in a small bowl and beat to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll the pie crust out in the center into a 10-12” circle. Spoon the roasted vegetables into the center of the crust, leaving a 1 1/2-inch border around the edges. Fold the edges over the crust, leaving the center exposed, pleating the crust and pressing it gently to seal. Carefully pour the egg and cream mixture in the center, then sprinkle with the blue cheese.
- Bake until the crust is browned and the cheese is melting, 20-30 minutes. Let the crostada sit for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
*I used a mixture of thinly sliced red potatoes, carrots, cauliflower and red bell pepper.
adapted from The Big Book of One-Pot Dinners
Products Used in This Recipe:
Don’t miss a thing! Follow me on Pinterest to see what I’m pinning!
**This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase an item from Amazon from the link Taste and Tell receives a small commission. Thank you for supporting Taste and Tell through your purchases!**