Chicken grilled with a basil butter sauce and served with a simple honey mustard sauce. The perfect meal before we transition into fall!
One thing I’m going to miss the most with the weather cooling down is that I won’t have my fresh herbs anymore, unless I want to pay an arm and a leg to buy them at the store. I didn’t even plant any herbs outside this year, but I have a pretty large kitchen window, and have several different kinds of herbs planted into small pots. They flourish all summer long, but I can never seem to keep them alive when the colder weather hits. (If anyone has any hints to keep them alive in the winter, I’d love to hear them!) So in the meantime, I’m taking advantage of those herbs as much as possible.
The herb I’ve used the most this year – and probably love the most – is my basil. There is something about basil that I just can’t get enough of!! So I am taking advantage of every moment I have left with my basil plant.
This chicken dish is perfect for this time of year. You can take it out and grill it outside, or if you have a grill pan, this is done super easily indoors. And anything is good when it’s basted with basil butter!! And since I’m a total honey mustard kind of girl, it is served with some homemade honey mustard. This would be a great meal to enjoy on the patio during these last warm evenings!
Looking for more free recipes?
Subscribe to my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more family-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Basil Butter Chicken with Honey Mustard
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 1/8 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
Honey Mustard Sauce
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- couple drops hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- extra fresh basil, for garnish
- Make the Basil Butter: In a small saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Stir in the garlic powder, onion powder and basil. Set aside.
- Make the Honey Mustard Sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, honey and hot sauce. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Make the Chicken: Preheat an outdoor grill or a grill pan to medium. Butterfly each chicken breast open completely to make 4 pieces of thin chicken. Grill the chicken over medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes, or until no longer pink inside. Halfway through, flip the chicken and baste the top side with the basil butter. (If using an indoor grill, you can baste both sides, but I wouldn’t recommend doing it over a live fire because of the risk of flare ups.)
- Serve the chicken with the honey mustard sauce and garnish with more fresh basil.
Leave a Comment...