I will no longer say that there is something that I don’t like, or that I don’t really care for. Because I always end up eating my words. A few years ago, I said I didn’t like sweet potatoes. And now, I can’t get enough of them. And beets – I used to think that I hated them. Now, I’m finding out that I actually like them.
In come the cake bites/balls/pops (whatever you want to call them). I’ve said before that I don’t really care for them all that much, and now, here is the 3rd recipe I’m featuring in the last 3 or so months! Yep, a little bit of hypocrisy!
To be completely honest, I don’t usually care for cake bites. But I think it’s because I had only had the plain, super sweet cake balls. I don’t hate them, but usually one is more than enough and I’m on a sugar high. But if you introduce different flavors, I’m finding that I actually really like them!
First, there were the coconut ones that didn’t even have frosting in them. And then the strawberry ones. They were both really good – dangerously good. I definitely didn’t stop at just one with either of them! When I posted the strawberry bites, I mentioned that I was originally going to make Bananas Foster Cake Bites, but my husband had eaten the bananas that I had been saving. Well, I couldn’t get them out of my head. And from the comments, it seemed like many of you were curious about the Bananas Foster Cake Bites as well!
If you are a bananas foster fan, you will love these little guys. The banana flavor, combined with the rum extract is a winning combination in my mind. These were so dangerous for me to be around – I had to take the majority of them and give them away because I just kept eating them! They are still pretty sweet, so one is satisfying, but it’s hard to not go back for more than one!
Now, I just need to figure out how some people dip them so perfectly… Are you a cake bite fan?
Looking for more free recipes?
Subscribe to my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more family-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Bananas Foster Cake Bites
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 32 minutes
- Total Time: 3 hours
- Yield: 26-40 cake bites 1x
For the Cake Bites
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
For the Rum Buttercream
- 8 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 3 3/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 3–4 tablespoons of milk
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a 9×13-inch pan with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, mix together the cake mix, bananas, eggs, milk, cinnamon and rum extract; the batter will be thick. Pour into the prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven for 28-32 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- While the cake is cooling, make the rum buttercream. Place the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer or in a large bowl. Beat until light and fluffy. Slowly beat in the sugar on low. Add the milk and the rum extract, and start beating on low. Slowly increase the speed and beat until the buttercream is creamy. If it is too thick, add more milk.
- When the cake has cooled completely, crumble into a large bowl. Add the buttercream and mix with the back of a spoon until it is a thick dough consistency. Shape into balls and cool for 1-2 hours in the refrigerator or for 20 minutes in the freezer.
- Dip in white chocolate, vanilla candy melts or almond bark.
Leave a Comment...