Cool off with this delicious watermelon granita with the unexpected flavor of ginger and lime. Perfect for a hot August night!
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 6 cups roughly chopped seedless watermelon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- zest from 1 lime
- 1 (2-inch) piece of ginger divided, 1 inch cut into coins and 1 inch peeled and grated
- fleur de sel, for garnish
- In a blender or food processor, blend together the lime juice and watermelon. Strain through a strainer, reserving liquid and discarding the solids.
- Put 1/2 cup of the watermelon water in a saucepan and add the sugar, lime zest and ginger coins. Bring the liquid to a simmer and cook until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Add the grated ginger to the remaining watermelon water. When the syrup is cooled, remove the ginger and mix the syrup into the watermelon water. Pour into a 9×13-inch baking dish and set in the freezer.
- Every 30 minutes, scrape the mixture with a fork to break up the ice crystals and to keep it light and fluffy. Scrape every 30 minutes for at least 2 hours.
- Scrape the granita into glasses and garnish with the fleur de sel.
source: Kelsey’s Essentials