Move aside bakeries – this is the perfect Red Velvet Cupcake. They are easy to make at home and topped with the most delicious Marshmallow Cream Cheese Frosting.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons red liquid food coloring
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Marshmallow Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows, melted
- 3–4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line 2 12-cavity baking tins with 24 paper liners.
- Whisk the flour, salt, and cocoa in a bowl to combine.
- Beat the sugar and oil in a large bowl with an electric mixer. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for 30 seconds and scraping down the sides fo the bowl after each addition. Mix in the red food coloring.
- Add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the sugar mixture in two or three alternating additions, mixing until combined. Stir in the vanilla. Combine the vinegar and baking soda in a small bowl (it will bubble up). Fold into the batter.
- Fill each paper liner about 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 18 minutes.
- Cool completely on a rack.
- Mix the cream cheese and butter together well in a mixing bowl, beating until smooth.
- Add in the melted marshmallows and 2 cups of the powdered sugar. Beat until combined. Continue adding powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes with the frosting.
frosting recipe adapted from Paula Deen
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline.
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 332
- Sugar: 34 g
- Sodium: 183 mg
- Fat: 17 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 44 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 36 mg
Keywords: red velvet cupcakes, red velvet cupcake recipe