The perfect traditional red velvet cupcake, topped with a marshmallow cream cheese frosting.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 ounce red food coloring
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 2 cups mini marshmallows, melted
- 3–4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the sugar and butter, beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and mix well after each addition.
- Mix cocoa and food coloring together and then add to sugar mixture; mix well.
- Sift together flour and salt. Add flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Blend in vanilla.
- In a small bowl, combine baking soda and vinegar and add to mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared cupcake pans. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from heat and cool completely before frosting.
- Blend cream cheese and butter together in a mixing bowl. Add melted marshmallows and sugar and blend. Spread frosting on cooled cupcakes.
- slightly adapted from Paula Deen