The perfect way to get in your veggies, these Vegetable and Sausage Stuffed Peppers are stuffed with lots of veggies, rice and flavorful sausage. The perfect end of summer meal!
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 small zucchini, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 small yellow squash, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 cups prepared brown rice
- 3/4 cup fresh corn kernels
- 6 large bell peppers
- 8 oz shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Pour about 1/4 cup of the tomato sauce into the bottom of each of 2 casserole dishes.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini, squash, and onion and cook until softened. Remove from the heat to a bowl.
Add the sausage to the same pan, crumbling it as it cooks. When cooked through, remove from the heat and stir into the zucchini mixture. Add the rice, tomato sauce and corn. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cut the peppers in half horizontally and fill with the sausage mixture. Place the filled peppers in a lightly greased casserole dish and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the peppers are slightly softened. During the last 15 minutes of cook time, sprinkle the cheese on top of the peppers.
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts.
- Serving Size: 2 pepper halves
- Calories: 421
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 1143 mg
- Fat: 22 g
- Saturated Fat: 10 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 34 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 25 g
- Cholesterol: 63 mg