A simple pizza sauce packed with tomatoes and carrot puree for extra nutrition.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1–2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 can (14.5) diced tomatoes
- 1 package Veggie Blend Ins(TM) carrot puree
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1–3 teaspoons sugar
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 30-60 seconds. Stir in the tomato paste and allow to cook for another minute. Pour in the diced tomatoes, carrot puree, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Add desired amount of sugar. Stir together and bring to a bubble, then reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. For a smooth sauce, allow to cool slightly then puree in a food processor or blender.
I start by adding only 1 teaspoon of sugar, and add more sugar as needed depending on the tomatoes.