Sunday supper has never been so delicious! This Slow Cooker Pot Roast gives you perfectly tender beef, tasty (not mushy!) vegetables, and the most delicious gravy ever.
- 1 (2-3 lb) chuck roast
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 10–15 whole peppercorns
- 1–2 bay leaves
- 1 pound carrots
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Generously salt and pepper both sides of your chuck roast.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the roast and cook for 4-5 minutes per side, until browned. Remove from the skillet and place in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Combine the beef broth, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, thyme, garlic powder, and peppercorns. Pour this mixture into the slow cooker. Add the bay leaves.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook for 3 hours.
- When the 3 hours is almost up, prep your vegetables. Peel the carrots and cut into pieces about 2-3 inches long. (If my carrots are fat, I will cut them shorter, and if they are skinnier, I’ll leave them a little longer.) Scrub the potatoes and cut in half or in fourths, depending on their size.
- Add the carrots and potatoes around the edges of the roast. Replace the lid to the slow cooker and cook until the roast is done, another 4-5 hours.
- When the roast is done, remove the meat to a cutting board. Use a slotted spoon to remove the vegetables to a bowl.
- Strain the cooking liquid into a large measuring cup. Discard the herbs and peppercorns that were strained, and discard all but 2 cups of the cooking liquid.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour, then let the mixture cook while you whisk, for several minutes. Slowly whisk in the 2 cups of the cooking liquid.
- Continue to cook until the gravy has thickened.
- Meanwhile, use two forks to pull apart the beef into chunks.
- Serve the beef with the vegetables and the gravy.
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should be used as a general guide.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 620
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 1060 mg
- Fat: 39 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 43 g
- Cholesterol: 128 mg
Keywords: Slow cooker pot roast, crock pot pot roast, crock pot roast, pot roast