Tres Leches Cupcakes
The classic Mexican dessert- Tres Leches Cake – goes single sized in these Tres Leches Cupcakes that would be perfect for any Cinco de Mayo celebration.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 24 cupcakes
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Line 24 muffin tins with foil lined cupcake liners.
- Combine the egg whites, baking soda and salt and whip until soft peaks form. Add in the yolks and the sugar, and mix until combined. Gently fold in the melted butter. Add the flour in 4 batches, folding in after each addition. Divide the batter between the prepared muffin tins.
- Bake the cupcakes in the oven until lightly browned, and a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Remove the cupcakes from the oven, and using a skewer or fork, poke holes all over the top of the cupcakes.
- While the cupcakes are baking, combine the sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk and 3/4 cup cream.
- While the cupcakes are still a little warm, spoon the milk mixture over the tops of the cupcakes. (I like to go through and ladle over one spoonful of milk to each cupcake. When you are done, go back to the first cupcake and start again until all of the milk mixture has been absorbed.)
- Allow the cupcakes to full absorb the mixture, at least 30 minutes, but preferably overnight.
- To frost the cupcakes, beat the remaining 2 cups of heavy cream, slowly adding the powdered sugar. Beat until the whipped cream holds stiff peaks.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes, then sprinkle lightly with cinnamon and serve with a slice of strawberry on top.