Healthy and satisfying, this Tomato and Black Bean Quinoa Salad is perfect for a pot luck or for a delicious side dish.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 can (14-15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 4 green onions, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Combine 2 cups of water and the 1 cup quinoa in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for 15-20 minutes, until all of the water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and let it sit for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the lime juice, butter, vegetable oil, lime zest and sugar in a bowl. Stir in the quinoa until all of the dressing has been absorbed. Add in the black beans, tomatoes, green onions and cilantro and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt. Serve at room temperature or cold.
adapted from Gourmet July 2007