Filled with veggies, hearty farro and a spicy chicken, this Thai Chicken Buddha Bowl will leave you craving for more. Don’t forget the spicy peanut sauce!
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek (ground fresh chile paste)
- 1 cup farro
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sambal oelek
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized chunks
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups shredded kale
- 1 1/2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts
- In a small bowl, whisk together the peanut butter, lime juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, and sambal oelek. Whisk in 2-3 tablespoons of water. If using for meal prep, divide the sauce into 4 small containers. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Cook the farro according to the package directions, then set aside to cool.
- While the farro cooks, combine the chicken stock, sambal oelek, brown sugar and lime juice in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, cornstarch and fish sauce. Stir to coat the chicken. Let it sit for a few minutes to absorb the cornstarch.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat up the olive oil, then add the chicken and cook until golden, about 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic, shallot and ginger and continue to cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in the chicken stock mixture and continue to stir and cook for another minute, or until slightly thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- For meal prep, divide the farro equally into 4 containers. Divide the chicken, kale, cabbage, carrots, cilantro and peanuts evenly between the 4 containers.
- Buddha bowls will keep covered in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Serve with the spicy peanut sauce.
Very slightly adapted from Damn Delicious Meal Prep
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline.
- Calories: 482
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 939 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 53 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 36 g
- Cholesterol: 56 mg
Keywords: buddha bowl