A creamy and spicy butternut squash soup, filled with Thai flavors. This soup is the perfect way to keep warm on a cold night!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 1-2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 to 2 (14.5 oz) cans coconut milk
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 3-pound butternut squash soup, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted peanuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup sliced scallions
- 3 whole wheat pitas or flabreads, halved
- In a large pot, heat the oil. Cook the onion until soft. Add in the ginger and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add in the curry paste and stir, cooking one more minute.
- Add in the coconut milk, chicken broth, and squash. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes, until the squash is tender.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender, or working in batches in a food processor or blender. Stir in lime juice and salt. Serve topped with peanuts and scallions with the bread on the side.
- adapted from Family Cirlce