This easy Tamale Pie has a corneal crust filled with a spiced ground beef filling. This is a taste of the southwest – and it’s super easy to make!
For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
For the Filling:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby jack cheese
- Sliced jalapenos, optional
- Cilantro, optional
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Spray a 9×9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine the cornmeal, water, evaporated milk and salt in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 5-7 minutes, or until it is thickened.
- Stir in the green chiles.
- Reserve 1 cup of the crust mixture. Take the remaining crust mixture and spread it on the bottom and up sides of the prepared baking dish.
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes. Cool slightly.
- While the crust bakes: In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the ground beef, breaking it up as it cooks. When it’s about halfway cooked, add the onion and continue to cook until the beef is cooked through and the onion is tender. Season with salt.
- Add the garlic and cook another 30-60 seconds.
- Drain the excess from the beef, if needed.
- Add the enchilada sauce, corn, and olives and stir to combine.
- Spoon the filling into the crust. Spread the reserved crust mixture over the top.
- Bake the Tamale Pie for 15-20 minutes, then sprinkle with the cheese. Bake for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Garnish with sliced jalapeños and cilantro, if desired.
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 535
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 1767 mg
- Fat: 21 g
- Saturated Fat: 8 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 58 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 34 g
- Cholesterol: 93 mg
Keywords: tamale pie, tamale pie recipe