Biscuits are coated in taco sauce then topped with spiced ground beef and lots of cheese in this family friendly Taco Casserole.
- 16 oz. taco sauce
- 16.3 ounce can buttermilk biscuits*
- 8 ounces shredded cheese**
- 1 can (2.25 oz) sliced olives, drained
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- chopped cilantro, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Lightly grease a 13×9 inch baking dish. Spread taco sauce evenly over bottom of dish.
- Separate dough into biscuits. Cut each biscuit into 4 pieces. Place biscuit pieces in hot sauce, turn to coat. Sprinkle biscuits with half of the cheese and the olives. Bake for 15-18 minutes.
- In a large skillet, combine ground beef, peppers, mushrooms, cumin and chili powder. Cook until ground beef is cooked through.
- Sprinkle the ground beef mixture over the baked biscuit mixture. Top with the remaining cheese. Bake an additional 5-7 minutes, until cheese is melted. Serve topped with chopped cilantro, if desired.
*I have also made this recipe successfully with a 12-ounce can of biscuits, but I find that the 16.3 ounce biscuits are easier to find. You can use either size.
**Feel free to use any cheese that melts well. I like to use a mix of cheddar and mozzarella, or Colby jack.
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline. Nutritional information does not include any toppings.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 456
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 1218 mg
- Fat: 24 g
- Saturated Fat: 9 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 35 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 24 g
- Cholesterol: 60 mg
Keywords: taco casserole, taco, taco bake