Change up your Thanksgiving sweet potatoes with this recipe with a twist – These Sweet Potatoes with Banana and Honey use bananas and honey to sweeten the dish and add a unique flavor.
- 5 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 banana, unpeeled
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups pecans, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork and put on a baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven until the potatoes are soft, 45-50 minutes. During the last 10-15 minutes of cooking, add the banana. Remove from the oven.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, remove the skins and place the potatoes in a bowl. Peel the banana and add to the potatoes. Add in half of the butter, the honey, and season with salt. Mash the potatoes and banana with a potato masher until light and fluffy. Place in an oven proof dish and smooth out the top.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, brown sugar and pecans. Add in the second half of the butter and mix until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle on top of the potatoes.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are heated through and the crumb topping is golden brown.
adapted from Tyler Florence