The perfect Sweet Potato Hash – sweet potatoes are combined with bacon, onions and sweet red peppers in this easy stovetop side dish.
- 1/2 pound bacon, sliced into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the bacon. Cook until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease. Return the pan to medium heat.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes to the skillet and stir to combine. Cover the skillet and cook for an additional 10 minutes, stirring once halfway through the cook time. After 10 minutes, remove the cover and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring as needed, allowing any remaining liquid to evaporate and for the potatoes to lightly brown.
- Stir in the thyme and the reserved bacon. Taste, and add more salt, if needed.
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should be used as a general guide. Nutrition information does not include any eggs.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 227
- Sugar: 15 g
- Sodium: 588 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Cholesterol: 17 mg
Keywords: sweet potato hash