Take your pie game up a step with this Sweet Potato Pie with Marshmallow Coconut Meringue. A rich, smooth sweet potato pie is topped with a tall marshmallow meringue. A bit of coconut tops off this show stopping pie recipe.
- 1 pie crust, unbaked
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup butter, mostly melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut milk*
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 (7 oz) jar marshmallow creme
- 1/2 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1/4 cup coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Roll out the pie crust and place in a 9-inch pie plate. Place a sheet of parchment paper over the crust and fill the center with pie weights or dried beans. Blind bake the crust in the oven for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven.
- In a large bowl, beat together the sweet potatoes, butter, sugar, coconut milk, eggs, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon until smooth.
- Pour the pie filling into the partially baked crust. Cover the edges of the pie with a pie crust shield or with foil. Place the pie back into the oven and bake until a knife inserted into the center of the pie comes out clean, about 50 minutes.
- When the pie is almost done baking, prepare the meringue. In a medium bowl (or the bowl of a stand mixer) beat the egg whites and the cream of tartar until soft peaks form. While still beating, start adding the sugar slowly, 1 tablespoon at a time. Continue to beat until stiff peaks form. Continue beating until the mixture is smooth, shiny, thick and marshmallow-like.
- Place the marshmallow creme in a medium bowl. Add 1/3 of the beaten egg white mixture and stir it in completely. Add the remaining egg mixture and fold into the marshmallow creme.
- When the pie is finished, remove from the oven and spread the meringue on top, making sure to spread the meringue to the crust. Top with the marshmallows and coconut. Return the pie to the oven and bake until the meringue is browned, about 12 minutes.
- Remove the pie from the oven and allow it to cool for 1 hour, the refrigerate for at least 4 hours but preferably overnight.
originally adapted from Taste of Home
*For this recipe, you need full fat coconut milk that comes in a can, not coconut milk beverage that comes in a carton. The coconut milk will separate while in the can. For an easy way to re-combine the milk, I like to transfer it all to a food processor or blender and then blend until smooth.
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of pie
- Calories: 513
- Sugar: 50 g
- Sodium: 258 mg
- Fat: 23 g
- Saturated Fat: 14 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 71 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 82 mg