A simple sun dried tomato pesto is combined with pasta in this easy side dish that everyone will love. It is a perfect for picnics and pot lucks and can be served warm or cold.
- 2 cups small cut pasta
- 1/2 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes, packed in oil
- 3/4 cup fresh basil
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra to serve on top
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Reserve a mug-full of the pasta water, then drain and set aside.
- Drain the tomatoes from the oil, reserving the oil. Combine the basil, sun dried tomatoes and Parmesan in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Add 2 tablespoons of the tomato oil and continue to process until combined. Season with the salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, combine the pasta and the sun dried tomato pesto and stir to combine. If needed, use some of the starchy cooking water to bring it all together.
- Serve warm or cold.
adapted from allrecipes.com