Light as a cloud, a crunchy pecan and meringue crust is filled with a creamy strawberry filling.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup toasted Diamond Pecans, chopped
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup diced strawberries
- additional strawberries, for topping
Make the Crust:
- Preheat the oven to 275F. Generously butter a 9-inch deep dish pie dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg whites, vanilla, cream of tartar and salt. Beat until soft peaks form. While still beating, slowly add in the 1 cup of sugar. Continue to beat until thick and glossy. Fold in the pecans.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pie dish. Spread up the sides of the dish and make a well in the center. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, then turn off the oven and leave the crust in the oven until completely cooled or overnight.
Make the Filling:
- In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese and the sugar. Beat in the vanilla.
- Place the 1 cup of sliced strawberries in a medium bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher until only small chunks are present. Mix the mashed strawberries into the cream cheese mixture.
- In another bowl, beat the cream until soft peaks form. While you continue to beat, slowly add in the powdered sugar. Continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Take about 1/4 of the cream and stir it into the cream cheese mixture. Add the remaining cream and fold in gently until combined. Fold in the 1/2 cup diced strawberries. Pour the mixture into the cooled meringue crust and refrigerate until set, at least 2 hours. Top with additional sliced strawberries before serving, if desired. Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.