Perfect for serving and eating with friends, this Strawberries and Cream Skillet Cobbler is down-home deliciousness.
Strawberries and Cream
- 6 cups strawberries, cut into halves or fourths
- 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 oz cream cheese, cut into small cubes
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Combine the strawberries with 4 tablespoons of the sugar, flour, lemon juice, and vanilla in a 9- or 10-inch cast iron skillet. Stir to coat, then let sit until the strawberries have started to release their juices, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- In a bowl, beat together the cream cheese and the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar until smooth. Beat in the cream, 1 tablespoon at a time. Drop the cream cheese mixture over the strawberry mixture by tablespoons. Use a spoon or spatula to try to spread the cream cheese mixture into a thin layer over the top of the strawberries.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and 3 teaspoons of the sugar. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or a fork until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add in the buttermilk and stir just until moistened – do not overmix. Add more buttermilk if the mixture is too dry.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of the topping over the strawberries and cream mixture. Sprinkle the remaining 2 teaspoons of sugar over the top.
- Bake until the fruit is tender and bubbling, about 25 minutes. Serve warm or cold.