Creamy and rich, this Spicy Pumpkin Soup recipe is comforting and also good for you! It has just enough spice to warm you from the inside.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Pinch of ground cayenne pepper
- 1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree
- 2 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 tablespoon heavy cream
- Pepitas, for serving
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan or in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds. Add the cajun seasoning, red pepper and cayenne pepper and cook 30 seconds more.
- Add the pumpkin puree and the chicken broth. Stir until smooth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer the soup, in batches, to a blender or food processor. Cover tightly and blend until smooth. Return the soup to the pan.
- With the heat on low, add the brown sugar and stir until dissolved. Slowly add in the milk, whisking constantly. Taste, and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Top each serving with a tablespoon of cream and pepitas, if desired.
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline. Nutritional information does not include pepitas.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 168
- Sugar: 12 g
- Sodium: 93 mg
- Fat: 7 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Cholesterol: 28 mg
Keywords: pumpkin soup