- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Pinch ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 (15 oz) cans 100 percent pumpkin or 45 oz. of homemade pumpkin puree
- 5 cups of chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarian option)
- 2 cups of milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
1 Melt butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add spices and stir for a minute more.
2 Add pumpkin and 5 cups of chicken broth; blend well. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
3 Transfer soup, in batches, to a blender or food processor. Cover tightly and blend until smooth. Return soup to saucepan.
4 With the soup on low heat, add brown sugar and mix. Slowly add milk while stirring to incorporate. Add cream. Adjust seasonings to taste. If a little too spicy, add more cream to cool it down. You might want to add a teaspoon of salt.
Serve in individual bowls. Sprinkle the top of each with toasted pumpkin seeds.
from Simply Recipes