This Southwestern Chicken and Rice Soup is the answer after a long day. In less than 30 minutes, you can have a big pot of warm, comforting soup filled with tons of southwestern flavor!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (8 oz) Old El Paso™ Mexican Rice
- 1 can (16 oz) Old El Paso™ Black Bean Refried Beans
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ chopped green chiles
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- optional desired toppings – sour cream, diced avocado, cilantro, tortilla chips, etc.
- In a Dutch oven or large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the red bell pepper and the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cumin and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add in the chicken broth and the diced tomatoes. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- While the soup is coming to a boil, cook the rice in the microwave according to the package directions.
- Once the soup is at a boil, add in the refried beans and stir until the soup is smooth, breaking up any chunks of the beans with a spoon. Add in the green chiles.
- Stir in the Mexican rice and the chicken and cook for a few minutes to heat through.
- Serve topped with your desired toppings – sour cream, avocado, cilantro, tortilla chips, etc.