Covered in red, green and white (the Mexican flag colors), these Smothered Chicken Burritos bring the flavors of Mexico to your dining room table.
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup long grain rice, rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (8oz each) cans tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 6 (10-inch) flour tortillas
- 2 avocados, halved, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 oz Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups tomatillo salsa
- water, as needed
- 1/2 cup Mexican crema
- In a medium saucepan, combine 1 1/4 cups of the broth, the rice, beans, 1 1/2 teaspoons of the chili powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover the pan and reduce the heat to low. Cook until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the pan sit, covered, for 10 minutes. Add the green onions and fluff with a fork. Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, combine the oil, garlic and remaining 3 tablespoons of chili powder in a large saucepan set over medium-high heat. Cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Stir in the tomato sauce and remaining 1 cup of chicken broth. Bring to a simmer. Nestle the chicken into the sauce, then cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and cook until the chicken registers 160ºF, 10 to 15 minutes, flipping the chicken halfway through cooking.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and allow to cool slightly. Use 2 forks to shred the chicken. Place the chicken in a bowl then toss the chicken with 1/4 cup of the cooking sauce plus 2 tablespoons of cilantro. Set the remaining sauce aside.
- Place the oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 450ºF. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Wrap the tortillas in a damp towel and microwave until they are soft and pliable, about 1 minute. Lay the tortillas on a work surface, then place a mound of rice down each tortilla, close to the edge. Top with some of the chicken, avocado, and Monterey Jack cheese. Fold the sides then the bottom over the filling, rolling tightly into a burrito. Place the burritos seam side down on the baking sheet, cover with foil, and cook until heated through, 20-30 minutes.
- Before serving, whisk the salsa and 2 tablespoons of cilantro together in a bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 1 minute. Reheat the red sauce in the saucepan over medium heat until hot, adding water as needed to loosen the sauce.
- Arrange the burritos on individual plates. Pour the tomatillo sauce over one half of each burrito, and the red sauce over the other half. Drizzle the top with Mexican crema and sprinkle on additional cilantro to serve.
Recipe source: America’s Test Kitchen The Best Mexican Recipes
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline.
- Serving Size: 1 burrito
- Calories: 708
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 1407 mg
- Fat: 36 g
- Saturated Fat: 12 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 14 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 58 g
- Fiber: 12 g
- Protein: 43 g
- Cholesterol: 112 mg
Keywords: chicken burritos, burrito recipe