Rich, comforting and flavorful, this Chicken Paprikash is based off of a popular Hungarian recipe. It’s easy enough to make on a weeknight and is loved by both adults and children.
- 3 lbs chicken drumsticks and thighs, bone in
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil (like vegetable or canola)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- Egg noodles, for serving
- Lay the chicken in a single layer and salt and pepper both sides. Let it sit for a couple minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the chicken in a single layer, skin side down. Let it cook until browned and crisped, about 5 minutes, then gently turn the chicken to the other side. Let the second side cook until browned, another 5 minutes, then remove from the skillet.
- To the same skillet, add the butter and let it melt. Add the onion and bell pepper and saute, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and tomato and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the paprika and stir it into the vegetables. Be careful not to burn the paprika, as it will get bitter.
- Stir in the chicken broth.
- Add the chicken back into the skillet, nestling it into the mixture, skin side up. You don’t want to submerge it because you want the skin to stay crispy.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cover the skillet with a lid. Let the chicken cook until it reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF or until the juices run clear, about 30 minutes.*
- Once the chicken is cooked through, remove it from the skillet.
- In a bowl, take a few spoonfuls of the sauce that has been cooking and whisk it into the sour cream. Then stir the sour cream mixture back into the rest of the sauce in the skillet. Mix until combined.
- Return the chicken back to the skillet, turning to coat in the sauce if serving right away.
- Serve the chicken with buttered noodles or Hungarian Nokedli.
*The cook time will differ depending on the cut of chicken and the sizes. It’s best to have an instant read thermometer to check the chicken.
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline. Nutrition information does not include noodles for serving.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 577
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 85 mg
- Fat: 37 g
- Saturated Fat: 15 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 54 g
- Cholesterol: 7 mg
Keywords: chicken paprikash, chicken paprikash recipe