It may be a frugal crock pot meal, but this Crock Pot Beans and Sausage is anything but boring! Dry beans are combined with a from-scratch barbecue sauce and sausages to create at filling and comforting dish.
- 1 lb dry navy beans, rinsed and picked over
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 3 tablespoon honey mustard
- 2 tablespoons barbecue seasoning blend
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, halved
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 lb chicken sausages
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Pickled peppers, sliced green onions, and/or sour cream, for serving
- Place the beans in a large bowl and cover with water. Let the beans soak overnight.
- In the bottom of your slow cooker, whisk together the chicken broth, tomato paste, brown sugar, molasses, mustard, barbecue seasoning, and garlic.
- Drain the beans, then add them to the slow cooker.
- Push 2 cloves into each of the onion halves and tuck the onions into the beans.
- Set the slow cooker to high and cook until the beans are tender, about 6 hours.
- When there are about 2 hours left, add the sausages to the slow cooker.
- When the beans are soft, remove the sausages and cut them into 1-inch pieces and return them to the slow cooker.
- Remove the onion halves and discard.
- Add the vinegar and Worcestershire sauce and stir to combine. Let the mixture sit in the slow cooker, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- To serve, garnish with pickled peppers, sliced green onions and sour cream.
*total time does not include overnight soaking
Slightly adapted from Food Network Magazine August/September 2009
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline.
- Calories: 518
- Sugar: 31 g
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 94 g
- Fiber: 34 g
- Protein: 36 g
- Cholesterol: 81 mg
Keywords: Crock Pot Beans