Made with ground turkey and filled with extra veggies, these Turkey Sloppy Joes are a healthier alternative to your typical sloppy joes. You won’t miss the extra calories with this flavor-packed, easy dinner.
- 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 (8 oz each) cans tomato sauce
- 8 whole wheat hamburger buns
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turkey and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Season with the seasoned salt and pepper. When the meat has mostly browned, add the carrot and onion and cook until softened. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Reduce the heat to medium and add the brown sugar, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook for another minute, then stir in the tomato sauce. Cover the skillet and reduce the heat to medium-low. Allow the mixture to simmer for 5 minutes, or until you reach your desired consistency.
- Serve on the whole wheat buns.
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline.
- Serving Size: 1 sloppy joe
- Calories: 342
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 1008 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 44 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 26 g
- Cholesterol: 60 mg
Keywords: Turkey Sloppy Joes