This Skillet Turkey Pot Pie has cheesy buttermilk biscuits on top a flavorful turkey chili making a quick and easy dinner.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 8 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 20 oz ground turkey (preferably dark meat)
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon chili powder*
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 6 oz (1 1/2 cups) grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- In a large, heavy, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the bell pepper, onion and mushrooms and cook until softened, about 8-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for a minute or two until fragrant. Add the turkey and chili powder and cook, breaking up the turkey, until the turkey is browned and cooked, about 3-5 minutes. Add the tomatoes (undrained) and cook until some of the liquid has evaporated, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut the butter into the flour mixture using a pastry cutter or a fork. Stir in the buttermilk and the cheese just until moistened. Divide the mixture into 9 equal pieces and form into 9 biscuits. Place over the turkey mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the biscuits are golden brown, about 20 minutes.
*I only used 1/2 tablespoon chili powder since I was feeding my family, and it was still very mild.
slightly adapted from One Pot