Scones aren’t just for a sweet treat – these Chipotle Cheddar Scones are cheesy and spicy and make a perfect side for dinner.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon minced canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or a fork until it resembles coarse meal. Add in the sour cream, cheese, water, chipotle in adobo adn egg. Stir just until moistened.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add sour cream, cheddar cheese, 1 tablespoon water, chipotle chile, and egg; stir just until moist. Knead in bowl with lightly floured hands just until dough forms.
- Lightly flour a work surface and dump out the dough. Lightly knead just until it comes together. Divide the dough in half and shape each half into a 6-inch circle. Cut each circle into 6 wedges. Arrange the wedges on the baking sheet 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until browned. Serve warm.
slightly adapted from: Cooking Light Annual Recipes 2008