This quiche-like Savory Italian Tart is filled with Italian sausage, tomatoes, eggs and cheese, all on top of a puff pastry crust. Perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
- 1 package (8 oz.) refrigerated puff pastry dough
- 1 lb Italian sausage links, casings discarded
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Roll puff pastry on floured surface into a circle approximately 13 inches wide. Press dough into an 11-inch tart pan. Place a piece of foil sprayed with nonstick cooking spray over the dough and fill with dried beans or pie beads. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage in a large skillet over moderately high heat, breaking it up as it cooks, until the sausage is no longer pink, about 7 minutes. Drain well. Transfer sausage to large bowl and add the tomatoes, garlic, basil, pepper, salt and cheese.
- In separate bowl, whisk the eggs, cream and milk together. Combine both mixtures; mix well.
- Pour into the baked shell and bake an additional 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF. Bake an additional 10-12 minutes or until egg mixture is set and golden. Remove from oven; cool 5-10 minutes before cutting.
Source: The packaging with the Wilton tart pan