An easy and crowd pleasing appetizer – these Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms have fresh mushrooms that are stuffed with sausage and cream cheese.
- 16 oz sausage
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 2 lbs mushrooms, stems removed and cleaned*
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- In a medium skillet, cook the sausage until it is browned and cooked through, breaking it up as it cooks. Do not drain.
- In a bowl, combine the cream cheese, Parmesan, parsley and sage. Add the cooked sausage (including the grease) and mix until combined.
- Place the mushrooms, top side down, in a large baking dish. (You may need 2 baking dishes, depending on the size of the mushrooms.) Fill the center of each mushroom with a large scoop of the sausage mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, until the mushrooms are softened and the filling is browned.
- Let the mushrooms sit in the pan for 5-10 minutes to soak up any juices before serving.
*I like to buy my mushrooms at Costco for these Stuffed Mushrooms because they are so big and are perfect for this appetizer.
SUBSTITUTIONS: I have always used a tube of breakfast sausage for these mushrooms. Italian sausage should work, as well, if preferred.
MAKE AHEAD: The mushroom filling can be made up to 2 days in advance. If you’d like to make the filling and fill the mushrooms, you could do that the morning of, but I wouldn’t suggest storing the filled mushrooms for more than 24 hours. These are best baked before serving and served warm.
STORE: Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for 3 days. You can reheat in the microwave for a few seconds.
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should be used as a general guide.
- Serving Size: 1/10 of recipe
- Calories: 286
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 601 mg
- Fat: 23 g
- Saturated Fat: 10 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 5 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 15 g
- Cholesterol: 69 mg
Keywords: sausage stuffed mushrooms