This Sausage, Mushroom and Green Chile Casserole is a savory take on a French toast casserole. It is filled with sausage, mushrooms and green chilies. And all the work is done the night before, which makes breakfast a snap!
- 10 cups French bread cut into 1-inch cubes
- 16 oz breakfast sausage
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (8 oz) chopped green chiles, drained
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup half and half
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
- Sour cream, salsa and cilantro, for serving
- Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Put the cubes of French bread in the pan. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the sausage, breaking it apart as it is cooking. Cook until it is cooked through. Remove to a bowl, keeping the grease in the pan.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook until browned and softened. Add the mushrooms to the bowl with the sausage. Add in the green chiles and stir all to combine. Pour the sausage mixture over the bread in the baking dish, distributing as evenly as possible. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and half and half. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture on top of the sausage and bread, making sure the bread all gets saturated by the egg mixture. (Use your hands to press the bread down into the liquid to make sure it is all saturated, if desired.)
- Cover the dish with foil and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350F. Bake the casserole, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Serve with sour cream, salsa and cilantro, if desired.