Filled with sausage, mushrooms and green chiles, this Sausage Breakfast Casserole is hearty and filling. Plus, all of the work is done the night before, which makes breakfast a snap!
- 16 oz bulk breakfast sausage
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 8 oz canned chopped green chiles
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup half and half
- Salt and pepper
- 10 cups French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Sour cream, salsa, cilantro, etc – for serving
- Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the sausage, breaking it apart as it is cooking. Cook until cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook until browned and softened. Add the green chiles to the skillet and cook another minute or two. Add the sausage back into the skillet and stir to combine. Turn off the heat.
- Add the eggs to a bowl and lightly beat. Add the milk and half and half and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the bread cubes in the prepared baking dish. Top with the sausage and mushroom mixture. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the top of the cheese, making sure the bread all gets saturated by the egg mixture. Use your hands to press the bread down into the liquid to make sure it is all saturated, if desired.
- Cover the dish with foil and refrigerate for 8 hours, or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Bake the casserole, covered, for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake until the cheese is melted and the casserole is baked through and bubbly, another 10-20 minutes.
- Let the casserole sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with sour cream, salsa and cilantro, if desired.
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should be used as a general guide. Nutrition information does not include toppings.
- Serving Size: 1/12 of recipe
- Calories: 346
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 790 mg
- Fat: 22 g
- Saturated Fat: 22 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2 g
- Trans Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 22 g
- Cholesterol: 180 mg
Keywords: Sausage breakfast casserole, sausage breakfast casserole recipe, breakfast casserole, breakfast casserole recipe, overnight breakfast casserole