The popular sausage and pepper sandwich turns into pizza with this dinner idea that is topped with sausage and cooked peppers and onions.
- 1/2 lb sweet Italian or spicy Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 can (13.8 oz) Pillsbury® refrigerated artisan pizza crust with whole grain
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese mix
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Heat the oven to 400°F.
- In a medium pan, bring about 1/2 inch of water to a boil. Add the sausages, cover and cook until the sausages are cooked through, about 10 minutes. Drain the water and add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil to the pan. Cook the sausages, turning, allowing the casings to crisp up. Remove the sausages from the pan and cut into 1/2 inch pieces and return to the pan. Allow the sausages to brown on both sides.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large sauté pan. Add both peppers and the onion and cook until crisp-tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Grease a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Roll the crust out and press out slightly. Bake in the oven for 8 minutes.
- Remove the pizza from the oven. Top with the pizza sauce. Add half of the cheese, followed by the peppers and onions. Add the sausage, then sprinkle on the remaining cheese. Return the pizza to the oven and bake an additional 6-10 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted. Sprinkle on the dried oregano.