Bring some pasta into the mix next Taco Tuesday with this Taco Pasta Toss that has all of the flavors of tacos in a family friendly pasta dish.
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large jalapeño, halved, seeded and minced (reduce amount added for less heat)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or beef stock
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or monterey jack
- 2 small plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 head iceberg lettuce or 1/2 small heart of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 avocado, diced
- a handful of cilantro leaves
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then generously salt it. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions. Return the pasta to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and cook until browned, breaking it up as it cooks, about 5 minutes.
- Reserve 1/4 of the onion, and add the remaining 3/4 to the ground beef along with the jalapeno, garlic, chili powder, coriander and cumin. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until the onion is softened, about 7 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and let it cook for an additional minute, then stir in the stock.
- Add the beef mixture to the pasta and toss to combine. Pour the mixture into a large serving dish, and top with the cheese. Tent with a piece of foil and allow the cheese to melt, about 1 minute.
- Top each serving with the reserved onion, tomatoes, lettuce, avocado and cilantro.
recipe source: Every Day with Rachael Ray March 2010